July 27, 2018
Today, in Mercy, we begin about a two-week cycle of readings from Jeremiah and Matthew. Hand-in-hand, these call us to repentance, then show us the way to holiness.
Today, we think about Matthew. These readings are parts of the Third Discourse of his Gospel. It is sometimes referred to as the Discourse of Secrets because in it, Jesus teaches in riddles or parables.
Today’s parable is a familiar one – the sower and the seed. The image would have resonated easily with Jesus’s agrarian audience – and the green-thumbed among us! “Sow your seed on good soil or it will bear no harvest.”
Good soil doesn’t just happen. It takes work and vigilance to prepare a garden patch. This is the core of Jesus’ message – this is the secret of heaven:
- Clear the rocks
- Loosen clumped resistances
- Feed and nurture
- Check constantly for invasive weeds
So today, let’s:
- Check our hearts for anything that blocks our openness to the Spirit
- Examine any crippling prejudices we might be holding on to
- Be sure we are feeding our souls with good spiritual reading and quiet reflection
- Be aware of anything that pulls us away from kindness, truth, and love
Music: Planting Seeds : A Song of Life by Empty Hands Music