Ash Wednesday, March 6, 2019
Today, in Mercy, as we begin the holy season of Lent, this one question might lead us on our 40 Day journey:
What wholeness does God
imagine for me?
Lent is about bringing to wholeness in God all the fragmentations within us. It is about finding completeness in a journey of infinite love – a journey that passes through Calvary but triumphs in Resurrection.
Jesus has both made the journey for us, and will make the journey with us. Our challenge this Lent is to discover how Jesus makes these steps within our lives.
We are called to open our hearts and circumstances to the transformation of Paschal grace – a grace offered to us within the joys and sacrifices, miracles and challenges of our own lives.
What fragments do we bring before the healing touch of Christ this Lent?
- Broken or lifeless vows, promises, dreams
- Severed relationships, responsibilities
- Closed doors and hopes, ungiven forgiveness
- Despair with our Church, our communities, our families
- Despair with ourselves, our smallnesses, our addictions, our spiritual procrastination, our stingy souls
We need only make a singular, determined commitment: in each day’s scriptures, let us find a word or phrase that mirrors our own life. Let us seek Christ’s face beside ours in that mirror. Let us listen to the wholeness He imagines for us and make the choices to achieve it.
Music: Return to Me ~ John Michael Talbot