Monday, December 17, 2018
Readings: Click here for readings
Today, in Mercy, we begin the recitation of the O Antiphons.
The O Antiphons are Magnificat antiphonies used at Vespers of the last seven days of Advent. They are also used as the Alleluia Verse during the daily Mass.
Each antiphon is a name of Christ, one of his attributes mentioned in Scripture. They are:
- 17 December: O Sapientia (O Wisdom)
- 18 December: O Adonai (O Lord)
- 19 December: O Radix Jesse (O Root of Jesse)
- 20 December: O Clavis David (O Key of David)
- 21 December: O Oriens (O Dayspring)
- 22 December: O Rex Gentium (O King of the Nations)
- 23 December: O Emmanuel (O With Us is God)
(information above from Wikipedia)
We begin today with a heartfelt plea to God to fill our world with a Wisdom that orders all things and teaches us prudence.
Oh, how our world needs this prayer to be answered. How we need to return to a Wisdom rooted in truth, justice and mutual love.
Let us pray this prayer together today, dear friends:
O Wisdom of our God Most High,
guiding creation with power and love:
come to teach us the path of knowledge!
R. Alleluia, alleluia.
Music: Michael G. Hegeman, 1997 Performed by: The Lauda! Chamber Singers